Parliament House is located in Canberra, the capital of Australia and is the meeting location for the Parliament of Australia. The Parliament House of Australia was opened in 1988 on the 9th of May, by Queen Elizabeth II. The cost of the building was $1.1 billion and the intended life span of the building is 200 years.
The building was designed by architects Romaldo Giurgola and John Smith Murdoch and construction started in 1981 and it was intended to be completed on Australia day (26th January) 1988, it was estimated to cost around $200 million, neither of those estimates were met. The flagpole on top of the building stands at 81 metres and weighs 220 tonnes, with the flag the size of half a tennis court.
The two main rooms of Parliament house are the House of Representatives and the Senate, the Senates colour scheme matches that of the House of Lords in England and the House of Representatives is decorated in green to match the House of Commons.
Old Parliament House housed the Parliament of Australia from 1927 to 1988. After the Parliament house was relocated from Melbourne it began operation on the 9th of May 1927, this was only a temporary house for the Parliament until a more permanent building could be constructed.
The building was designed by John Smith Murdoch and his assistants, the building was designed to be neither permanent nor temporary but to be provisional. The style of the building is a classic simple style, often used for Australian Government buildings that were built in Canberra between the 1920's and 1930's. Old Parliament House sits at the base of Capital Hill and is in the centre of the Parliamentary triangle.
On both sides of the building are gardens, one for the House of Representatives and one for the Senate, which were put there by Murdoch as places to contemplate for the Members and Senators. The building is made from Canberra's clay bricks, timber and light concrete. The building was originally rendered in white concrete but has since been painted white.
Black Mountain Tower is one of Canberra's most famous landmarks. The tower is a telecommunications tower that sits on the summit of Black Mountain in Australia's capital, it stands at 195 metres above the summit of the mountain and gives a 360 degree view of Canberra's rural area.
At night the tower provides a spectacular view of the city's lights past the rural areas. Black Mountain Tower opened in 1980 and has since created a fantastic tourist attraction making one of the capital city's most popular attraction. The tower has three main levels opened to the public, it facilitates a cafe with a 360 degree view of the surrounding areas, a gift shop and a revolving restaurant which gives you a view of the whole area by the time you finish your meal and is the only revolving restaurant in Canberra.
Black Mountain Tower is one of Canberra's most famous landmarks and has had over 6 million visitors in total, the tower joined the World Federation of Great Towers in 1989, joining other great towers such as the CN tower, Blackpool Tower and the Empire State Building.
The Australian War Memorial is a national memorial to remember all the members in the nation's armed forces and the organisations that supported them who died or were in the wars of the Commonwealth of Australia. The memorial contains a military museum, the memorial was opened in 1941 and is recognised worldwide as one of the most important memorials. It is located in the capital of Australia, Canberra.
The memorial contains three main parts to it, the museum and research centre, the commemorative area and the outdoor sculpture garden. The memorial has the Hall of Memory which has the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, this tomb represents all Australians who were killed in the war. The building was designed by architects Emil Sodersten and John Crust, there was a limited budget to the building because of the depression.
The building was finished after the outbreak of the second world war in 1927, and was opened by Governor General Lord Gowrie who was a soldier himself on Remembrance Day on the 11th of November 1941.
The Royal Australian Mint is located in Deakin in Canberra and is Australia's coin mint. All of the newer circulating coins go through the mint. In 1959 planning for the mint began and on the 22nd of February 1965 it was officially opened by the Duke of Edinburgh. The mint cost approximately $5 million to build and a further $4 million for equipment.
Renovations were made to the mint in the period of 1984-1986, they were made to make the visitor facilities bigger and the increase in demand for collector coins. Visitors can now press their own legal coin using a visitor press at the mint. The mint has two main buildings, the administration building and the process building, the administration building is used for engravers, a laboratory and has a basement used for the measurement of the size and weight of the coins.
The mint is primarily used to manufacture Australia legal coins but does not make Australian notes, notes are made in Melbourne by Note Printing Australia. The mint also does medals for the Australian Armed forces and did the medals for the Sydney 2000 Olympics and it also makes tokens for private companies like casinos and car washes. A total of over 11 billion circulating coins have been made at the mint since it has opened, the Mint has the ability to produce over 2 million coins per day.